Sharing my JOURNEY....

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Can you empathize with others?

I know that in some situations I can, and others, I simply cannot. It just depends on the context of the situation.

In a heated conversation, Jason said to me “You need to have more empathy” and I strongly disagreed with him. I cannot feel empathy for others in every situation, and that doesn’t make me a bad person. However, in certain situations, I am able to have empathy; there is a difference between empathy and sympathy. AND I always have sympathy for others. Even though the situation may be self-inflicted, or the person continues to be in the situation because they are “in” their own way.

For me, empathy is the ability to experience the feelings of another person. It goes beyond sympathy, which is caring and understanding for the suffering of others. Both words are used similarly and often interchangeably (incorrectly so) but differ subtly in their emotional meaning.

Here is the difference between the two


Empathy
Sympathy

Understanding what others are feeling because you have experienced it yourself or can put yourself in their shoes.
Acknowledging another person's emotional hardships and providing comfort and assurance.

I love you Jason. I love that you want me to care, and I do! I love people, I love to listen to their stories; trials and tribulations, and I love to share my experiences with others. Bottom line for me is… in the end we all want the same; to love and be loved, to succeed and be happy. I want this to come true for everyone, and imagine how the world would be a different place, if we all supported and loved each other. Instead of holding angry grudges and plotting vengeance against one another.

To the peace and oneness of the world!

No comments: